Having the right equipment for recording different audio-visual content can influence your success quite a lot. So, whether you need a good mic for live streaming, recording vocals, or communicating with your coworkers, you should seriously consider purchasing a hypercardioid microphone.
However, if you’ve never heard of this type of microphone before, you might be wondering – what exactly is it and what are the different things that I can use it for? Luckily for all individuals that are asking themselves the same question, our article can help! Here is everything that you should know about this mic type:
Hypercardioid Microphone Definition
When compared to some other options – such as cardioid mics – available on the vast market, hypercardioid mics have directional patterns, which suggests that they do a better job at isolating noise between several sound sources. According to Synco, the hypercardioid microphone pattern is quite sensitive on the axis points – with almost 0 measurements between 110 and 270 degrees – and the rear lobe sensitivity measurement.
Because of these characteristics the mic you opt for purchasing will be less sensitive on the sides, but more sensitive at the behind. Since the sensitivity is as it is, the mic can easily pick up all sounds in, for example, isolated audio recordings. This type of pattern is amazing for all types of audio-visual recordings, thus, if you’re a content creator, you should seriously consider purchasing it for your projects.
Hypercardioid Microphone Uses
As we previously mentioned, a hypercardioid microphone has high directionality, which is one of the main reasons why a lot of people choose to use it for different projects. For starters, it’s suitable for recording audio-visual content, instrumentals will never sound better, and if you have or want to create different content outside or while performing on stage, this type of equipment will do wonders for you.
But, besides the aforementioned uses, they are most commonly used in the filmmaking industry, since they can be easily adjusted and moved. Capturing specific isolated sounds won’t be an issue anymore, thus, if you’re outside recording, you can point the mic in the right direction and it’ll capture the sounds you want to. This suggests that it’s suitable for capturing single sound sources, while at the same time, it can reduce noise.
Additionally, artists that record from their home studios seem to love using a hypercardioid microphone! Why? Well, it’s simple to understand – they can adjust it perfectly to fit the needs they have, so, if they’re, for instance, recording drums or guitars, they can position it so that it captures those sounds only. Lastly, if you often perform live with a band or individually, getting this type of equipment will do wonders for you.
The Main Characteristics
- Zero Points at Certain Degrees – as we’ve already stated, the hypercardioid microphone has zero points at two degrees (110 and 250) which represents its directional points. The zero points determine the direction in which the device works, and the points must almost always point to the pattern that cancels sounds.
- Rear Cone Silence – the zero points mentioned above are 2D angles and although most cardioid mics don’t operate in 3D environments, a hypercardioid condenser microphone will! The zero points represent these 3D cones of silence, thus, they can ensure max rejection of the rear sides.
- It’s More Directional – the polar pattern provided by the device in question is more directional, meaning that they can easily focus on the sound source, thus, it’s better for projects that require the artist or their instruments to be close to the recording equipment, more specifically, the mic.
- Sound-Cancellation – if you have to work in a loud and noisy environment, a hypercardioid microphone can provide you with the noise-cancellation features required. After all, they’re capable of picking up sounds from a single point, thus, there will be no sounds hindering the entire recording process.
- More Gain – since the polar pattern these mics have is perfect for isolating sounds, they’ll produce more gain, meaning that it won’t have a lot of feedback that can hinder your recording or that might produce unwanted sounds during live performances or sessions.
- There Are Affordable Options – yes, these mics have a wide range of features, which is why they’re often expensive. However, this doesn’t mean that there aren’t affordable hypercardioid microphones available. Depending on your needs, you can find options that won’t cost a fortune, but that’ll provide you with the same benefits as more expensive models.
Which is Better For My Needs – Hypercardioid or Cardioid Models?
This is something that’ll entirely depend on your preferences and needs, however, there are a few things worth considering. If you, for example, work in a noisy environment and if you want to have less feedback and more gain, it’s better if you opt for using a hypercardioid mic, mostly because it’ll provide you with the feature you need. A cardioid mic will also require more positioning and proximity to the artist, which can create some issues along the way.
Is it Good For Singing?
Yes! Getting this type of mic is suitable for recording vocals in a studio setting, as well as other environments. After all, there are various features that these mics can provide you with, all of which can help you make the content more clear, concise, and more importantly, you can make sure that you can point it in a specific direction, and by doing so, you can make sure that it picks up all the important sounds.
As you can see, there is a wide range of benefits and reasons why you might want to use a hypercardioid microphone. Not only can it be used in noisy and busy environments, but it is also suitable for recording sound from a single source, meaning that it can provide you with noise-cancellation features.
Since you’re now well aware of what this type of mic is, as well as what you can use it for, you shouldn’t spend any more time reading articles such as this one. Instead, if you’ve determined that you can benefit from using this device, start looking for a company that’ll provide you with an option that suits your needs.